Hyena Kitchen

Tucked away in a lonely room, lit by the fire of burning screenplays, overlooking the Los Angeles suburb of Ambivalence (look for it, it's there right between Despair and Disneyland) safe in a self-imposed exhile from television, come the screams, rants, and lesser observations from the Hyena Kitchen.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Two weeks ago, I took another step toward becoming a grown-up. Dammit!

In 1969, my world consisted of NASA, Aurora models, Hot Wheels, and Saturday matinees. I had recently discovered Dark Shadows, Twilight Zone, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, the late, late show and The Beatles – all things that would stay with me forever. I also found this great magazine, right next to the comic books – the cover was adorned with the giant rattlesnake – the same art from the Land of the Giants model box. I picked it up and magically, I was ruined forever. The magazine, Famous Monsters of Filmland #55, was the first of many firsts for me – none that I remember as well though. I don’t remember my first look at MAD, Crawdaddy, National Lampoon, or FM imitators Eerie or Creepy all staples of my early existence. It was the first time to took notice of a name – Forrest J Ackerman – editor in chief – whatever that was. It was obvious that it was Forry’s magazine though and obvious that we shared a love for monsters. It would be a rather one-sided relationship until 1989 when we actually become friends.

We lost Forry two weeks ago at the age of 92 and I’m writing this not because he was important to world of horror and sci-fi – the phrase he coined – he was. Not because he was the collector of all collectors, he was. Not because he was the only person I knew who had seen H.G. Wells speak, he was. But because he was my friend and I will miss him forever and I want you all to miss him too. “Uncle” Forry was everything his magazine was and every time I was around him, I was twelve years again – but that was okay, so was he. He was funny, smart, and most of all loved monster movies – what more can you say about a person. It is not lost on me, how lucky I was to have known him.

I just had the pleasure of seeing Michael MacDonald’s documentary Famous Monster: Forrest J Ackerman – featuring interviews with a great many friends from L.A. (I hope Road House Productions will find some way to release it on DVD). If you have a chance, see it, it’s a great tribute to a wonderful man – whether you know who he was or not. Otherwise, put on a copy of Dracula, or King Kong and be twelve again – we all need it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home