Hyena Kitchen

Tucked away in a lonely room, lit by the fire of burning screenplays, overlooking the Los Angeles suburb of Ambivalence (look for it, it's there right between Despair and Disneyland) safe in a self-imposed exhile from television, come the screams, rants, and lesser observations from the Hyena Kitchen.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Today is my father's birthday. January 22nd. He would have been seventy-eight today. A bit more grey. A bit more fragile. Softer, probably not. He'd still think of me as a dove, but I'd like to think his "My country, right or wrong" attitude would have softened. He would have seen Bush as a child of privilege and a buffoon. He'd hate reality television. He would love the internet and the quicker/smaller computers. He'd hate what the BCS did to college football. He'd love Single Malt Scotch, while laughing at designer martinis. He still wouldn't see what I saw in John Lennon. He'd love hybrid cars. He'd hate the smaller Lincoln. He'd love his grandchildren.

A great deal has changed since he died eighteen years ago - 6574 days is a long time, yet it's only a second when I close my eyes. Here's to you, Pop. Cheers!

1 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Beautiful writing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home