Hyena Kitchen

Tucked away in a lonely room, lit by the fire of burning screenplays, overlooking the Los Angeles suburb of Ambivalence (look for it, it's there right between Despair and Disneyland) safe in a self-imposed exhile from television, come the screams, rants, and lesser observations from the Hyena Kitchen.

Friday, January 20, 2006

If you know me, or have read any of my stuff, you know that I tend to gravitate toward bands that require explanation. If I were to say, “Oh, I really like The Beatles,” you’d get it. But when I say, “I really like The Corb Lund Band, or The Legendary Shack Shakers, or Slaid Cleaves,” I often draw a blank stare. Now, I can blame it on satellite radio, obscure “local” stations that now stream on-line, or even The Music Genome Project’s website, www.pandora.com. All are responsible for turning me onto some obscure new artist or another, but what it really boils down to is - I like good music. And since I cannot depend on Los Angeles radio stations to bring it to me, I seek it out on my own. In fact, I’m almost to the point where I’d rather buy CD’s direct from an artist’s website and see them in small venues forever, than risk seeing them make it big (no matter how much they deserve it) and lose them to the mediocrity of our Clear Channel controlled airwaves – all required, extensive explanations aside. But I digress. . .

Walt Whitman once said, “Whatever satisfies the soul is truth.” Music, without question, satisfies my soul; therefore Music = Truth. Just a theory – discuss it among yourselves. Last Wednesday night at the West Hollywood’s nightclub, The Troubador, I had the rare opportunity to experience a moment of truth, when I had the fortune to see The Alternate Routes (who?), Jedd Hughes (who?), Will Kimbrough (who?) and Rodney Crowell (wh…I hope not, but you never know). Explanations. . .


A year or so ago, I surfed by a Rodney Crowell concert on Direct TV and was mesmerized by his guitar player, Will Kimbrough. I watched this guy each time the concert aired - B.T. (Before Tivo). I bought his three CDs. He immediately moved onto my top ten list of guitar players. So, when I saw that he was opening for Crowell at The Troubador I made plans to go, but there were two other bands on the bill that I’d never heard of, perhaps I’d go late – shame on me - I’m so glad I ignored my first instinct. . .


Quietly, opening the show was a band from Bridgeport, Connecticut called The Alternate Routes, making their Hollywood debut. If you live on the east coast, chances are good that you have heard their single, Ordinary, getting radio play in college towns. If not, you will soon. These guys are amazing. They knocked out a live set that ended far too soon for my taste – thanks for the little “Get Back” reprise, guys, it was a nice touch. After the show, the band’s lead singer, Tim Warren, asked me to listen to the CD and let him know what I thought. This is the best I can do – WOW! What an amazing CD. Equally as talented in studio, as they are live. Here’s what you do, go to their website www.thealternateroutes.com, order a copy of the CD and check their tour dates for a city near you and go see them. You won’t be sorry.


Next, I was surprised to see, Will Kimbrough take the stage along side Australian guitarist Jedd Hughes. The two took turns on vocals, sharing the hour long set with a no-set-list spontaneity and amazing acoustic guitar work, really complimenting each other’s talent. You MUST see these guys – in any of their current touring combinations - but together they are truly amazing. [Sadly, Jedd’s CD, Transcontinental fails to capture his true talent – a problem I have with studio offerings from many of the Alt-Country Singer/ Songwriters that I listen to ( i.e. Jack Ingram, Todd Snider, Robert earl Keen) there is a live spark in these performers that gets lost as the producer tries to “bring them down the mountain.” Listen up Nashville (oh, like anyone in Nashville is reading this), start producing these guys with attention to their live shows, instead of making the sound like the soundtrack to O’Brother.] To learn more about either of these guys (or just to read Will’s Blog) go to www.willkimbrough.com and www.jeddhughes.com.

Finally, Rodney Crowell came out, backed by The Outsiders (including Kimbrough and Jedd Hughes – now both sporting electric guitars) and while it seemed to take Crowell a few songs to mix the sound to where he liked and start having fun, when he got there – well, let’s just say this ain’t your Mom and Dad’s country music. Hot on the release of his latest CD The Outsider, which, in a way, reinvents the former Emmy Lou Harris guitar player, Crowell rocked the room with material – sarcastic, funny and at times heartbreaking – mostly from his last three releases. Never did once did The Outsiders feel like a back up band as Crowell shared the stage equally with each of them, most notably on the guitar driven “Preaching to the Choir,” “Tobacco Road”, and the sing-along rendition of Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone.” To paraphrase Crowell’s song “Earthbound” (and after the Johnny Cash story, I can’t see him complaining) – It’s night like these that make me want to stick around.

To have a chance to see one of music’s most successful songwriters, backed by two of the most versatile guitar players – and to experience their range in two such diverse sets was, in a word – truth. Truly, a night that will, I’m afraid, make the next few shows I see pale in comparison. Enough explaining – now, go find out what I’m talking about for yourself. Peace.

1 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool, write more about music. PLEASE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home