Hyena Kitchen

Tucked away in a lonely room, lit by the fire of burning screenplays, overlooking the Los Angeles suburb of Ambivalence (look for it, it's there right between Despair and Disneyland) safe in a self-imposed exhile from television, come the screams, rants, and lesser observations from the Hyena Kitchen.

Sunday, February 22, 2009


I sat tonight watching the Oscars, sitting for the first time ever resisting the urge to change the channel. There was no host – well, there was Hugh Jackman, best known as Wolverine – so like I said, no host. Growing up in the years that Johnny Carson hosted the show, all of my contemporaries – except for Billy Crystal – fall short at best. For the first time in years I hadn’t seen any of the nominated films – with the exception of the one animated short I saw this morning – thanks to entertainment backwater I now find myself in. I sat through the over indulgence of Hollywood (and other) talent, thinking – to paraphrase Gloria Swanson – “it’s the actors that have gotten smaller.” It broke my heart to see an aging Jerry Lewis on the same stage with those drowning into today’s talent pool. For years, I would get up at 5:00 am to wait for the nomination announcements live – I even had the pleasure once of calling a friend who had just been nominated and telling him before anyone else. And tonight for the first time in my life, I realized I’m never going to win one - short film, screenplay, directing - nothing. Maybe if they create a lifetime achievement for leaving. It’s funny where the road less taken deposits you. Oh well, just as well, I'm shitty at keeping the mantle dusted.

1 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I teach theatre, and I have also accepted that fact that I'll never obtain the little gold guy. However, I have a new dream: one of my students will go on to win an Oscar! I have already told them that I am to be invited as their guest, and they have to thank me in their acceptance speech!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home